First trip away with the cats.  I booked two nights at Miranda Hot Pools about 45mins to an hour away from Pukekohe.  Mel and the boys were to come also but Ben was away at friends, so James brought a friend. We bought a tent from Warehouse for the occasion.  I arrived before Mel but by the time I was on y pitch and plugged in to shore power Mel and the two lads arrived.  We pitched the tent, which was very easy, considering we had not done it before but it went up no problem.  I think with a bit of for thought and team work it would take about 10 to 15 Minutes to be up and functional.

I had put my cats in their travel crates for the journey this was more for their own security, as I needed to stop for diesel.  If they are not caged then they sit by the bus steps when you stop and it is like having two white fluffy Slinkys.  Every time you lift one to the top of the step the other one pours down it.  I now understand the phrase “like herding cats”DSCF1647 DSCF1649 DSCF1650A Big Bedford SB3 arrived for the night

The journey to Miranda was pretty good only big hills were coming over the Bombay’s.  I did run off the road at one point and the back road, which was quiet narrow and the edge of the road, fell away.  The front wheel dropped of on the the grass and then everything followed.  Obviously I got it all back or  would be writing a different tale.  Mental note take it a bit slower on the back roads!

Unlike my last venture to the local park, I could not let the cats out due to camp rules unless they were on a lead.  We tried this in various configurations but found one at a time was about all we could manage.  Leo is quiet used to walk on a lead even if it is not where you want to go but Lea is still a bit skittish and likes to go under the bus.  We did enlist the help of the two lads but their attention span was that of goldfish and the leads were around the chair legs, under the bus, through the hedge etc. so we ended up tying them off to a stake in the ground and shortened the leads so they could not get under anything.  Again, the boys were asked to keep an eye on them but the both managed to escape from their harnesses without the lads noticing.

The evening we locked them in with the lads while they watched a movie, Mel, and I had a soak in the hot pools.  Leo was up for his morning walk at 04:30 but Lea was not keen.

Second day we did chili omelettes in paratha, an old favourite of mine from the teashops of Sharjah.  These seemed to go down well and not too difficult to make and easy to eat as they are wrapped in paper.  Just as well, as the boys can eat for New Zealand.

The day was spent just lazing around by my bus while the boys and Mel went net door to the hot pools, they got a day pass. Danny brought Ben up mid-afternoon so they went back to the pools for a bit and then came back and played French cricket. Again the lads watched a movie at night and Mel and I had a soak in the pools.

Final day and it was pancakes, bacon, and maple syrup requested by James’s friend.  He must have seen the pancake mix in the shop the previous day.  Consequently we could not start breakfast until the shop opened on the campsite.  On reflection, it would have been easier to have taken all the gubbins to the communal kitchen rather than try to cook on the bus.  We got there in the end if a little hot.  By the time we had cleared up and all showered, I washed my bedding; it was time to check out

Ben rode shotgun in the bus and we all arrived back in Pukekohe safe and sound.


1 thought on “Miranda

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s